Monday, June 18, 2012

Winter Wedding

We’ll marry when we’re old.   Or not.
You wanted me for life when you were twenty, and I was seventeen.
But there were things I didn’t know I needed from the world.
The world had never gone beyond the shoreline,
but it offered other boys … a baby girl.
And the years went by like a flash flood in a dry canyon.

We’ll marry when we’re old.  Or not.
We’ll move to Eugene and live in a cabin in a hazelnut grove.
You’ll stitch cotton prairie dresses for me and bring ginger tea
out to the porch. We'll smile our eyes at each other,
still finding it hard to believe we’d made our way back.

We’ll marry when we’re old.   Or not.
I’ll work the gnarls out of your shoulders and we’ll laugh about
the basement and the four-way stop at Stars Corners

where you taught me to kiss.
A cool breeze will lift my skirt and tufts of your grey hair that
you’ll keep long around your ears.

We’ll have a dog and a cat, when we marry when we’re old.   Or not. 
But I’ve heard you love your dogs.  And me, I love my cats.
We’ll watch them play from the porch in the hazelnut grove.
I’ll remind you how we fit together so well. You'll tell me you
never forgot.  Your mother had my birthstone added to her ring.
Did she keep it there?  I’ll ask.

We probably won’t marry when we’re old
in the way that people do.
You’ll write a song and sing it in your sweet old voice. You’ll play your guitar
and I’ll make you a bolo tie of aspen wood.
We’ll promise ourselves to each  other forever, which won’t be very long. 

And if you die first I’ll wrap you in lavender-scented linen
and find a patch in the hazelnut grove.  The people from town
will help.  I’ll wrap myself in quilts and sleep there with you until I’m
sure you’ve found your way.
 And you would do the same for me. Because you’ve loved
me since I walked away .

No comments:

Post a Comment

In the Look-Back

In the Look-Back
P coat and twiggy hair

Riding the Stream Down

Riding the Stream Down
Snap shot from the Look-Back