Friday, March 18, 2011

Bare Cement Day, another friend gone.

Peace Diane.   You were the ultimate hippy when we were sophomores in high school.  You had that long, blond hair and those gorgeous blue eyes with thick lashes.  I was so jealous of you that we fought for awhile.We couldn't be at the same slumber party together.  But we couldn't stay mad long.  Remember the River Trail when we went camping in Cook's Forest??  Someone switched the trail sign and pointed it down-hill toward the gorge.   My Dad, with his stiff leg, managed the slope, as did old Mr.Carlile.  But I hung from the branch of a tree and cried.  You ran up and down the hill past me while yelling, "See? It's not bad! It's easy!"   Nothing scared you.  You were cheerful and adventurous about everything... even things we shouldn't have been adventurous about.   Remember that outdoor concert we went to?  Was it Watkins Glenn? That's New York..it wasn't New York. Doesn't matter now.  The bands were Little Feet, The James Gang, and  Frampton's Camel.  We weren't crazy about any of them. We went for the party.  I think you rode there on the back of Eddie Keenor's Harley Sportster.  I don't remember how I got there, but I know it wasn't on the back of a Harley. (I was such a sissy.)  Remember how that bag of pot just fell out of the sky and landed in front of us after we wished for it?  We freaked out.  Such a beautiful girl.   We were young and the sun loved us.  The future was ours.  The future belonged to beautiful young girls.   I'm going to miss you even though it's been over 30 years since I've seen you.  This earth will miss you.  Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In the Look-Back

In the Look-Back
P coat and twiggy hair

Riding the Stream Down

Riding the Stream Down
Snap shot from the Look-Back